Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Shhhhh...It's a Foo King Secret!

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. However, I did complete another task on the 'ol 30 by 30! I learned the Foo King Hot Wing Secret!

There are probably a handful of you out there who don't know what that means. Here's the gist:

In Muskogee, Oklahoma there is an Annual Chili & BBQ Cook-off. While most people participate with their jobs, churches, or community groups, my dad and his crazy friends decided to break off from the norm. Teaming up with the "Eat My Chili" team, the "Foo King Hot Wing Co begam. Together they created a secret concoction incorporating a combination of ingredients and spices. This liquid and dry recipe is put on, well, chicken wings, in addition to ribs, regular chicken, pork butt, brisket and pretty much anything sold at Muskogee's Central Meat Market.

The best part of all, the food is AMAZING and they WIN! Sure, a nasty, little participating group has been known to beat them a few times in the Crowd Pleasing BBQ category...after, of course, going to the printer and making hundreds of copies of the tickets used to vote (CHEATERS, we're on it you!). But the Muskogee Phoenix headline has read, "FOO KING CHAMPIONS!" (or something of that nature). Correct me if I'm wrong, Foo King dudes, but we've been Grand Champions three times!
People often ask, "where is your restaurant?" The answer, "our backyards!"

So my goal, was to learn this secret recipe, which has been passed down from the elders (Ched, Drew, Jerry, Jimmie, Mark, John Turner) to their successors (Colin, Evan, Zach, Alex, Phillip, Matthew, Andrew, and Matt Turner). Anyone see anything missing here? Emily, Kristin, the wives (Maggie, Jennifer, etc), aka Foo King Babes, and I sure do! What the heck happened to the girls? The boys were recruited to be "cooks" while we were asked to bring our sorority sisters and "hock tickets". While we did an EXCELLENT job (Thanks, Sarah), it's time we learned the secret too!

Now don't get any ideas. I'm not giving up the goods on the blog, but, I did learn the FOO KING SECRET! I made FOO KING HOT WINGS. And they were gooooooooooooooooood...

First the prep:



A quick taste test (duh):

So then the part that is most difficult for me...WAITING! The next day, we went over to Jimmie and Kathryn's for our annual SWIMBLEDON tournament and over-eating frenzy. Up first, me:


Time to GRILL:

Yummmm! My mouth is watering just THINKING about these. Now I know what you are thinking, "Where's the pic of the finished project." Well friends, my Foo King Wings were so good, they didn't last long enough for me to run to get my camera. There must have been a monster there devouring them or something:
AHHH! WATCH OUT! Whew, that was close!


Thanks to the Foo King Dudes for letting me join the secret club. And thanks to my super, spicy, sous chef, Jordan.

BON APPETIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment